Thursday, August 30, 2007

yeah, write

well, clearly writing in this blog has not been top priority for me lately. understatement. but i'll try again. it's almost september and my children are about to go 'back' to school. really, my oldest is the only one going 'back.' he starts first grade this year. i can't believe it. "believe it, mommy, believe it." that's what he said to me once when he was two years old and i said i couldn't believe how big he was. he'll be in college soon.

my little guys, aidan and mycah, both four are starting K1 this fall. first year in the big kid school. no more daycare/preschool. they really do get big quick. a friend told me this summer that with kids, the days are long, but the years are short. i think so too.

but enough about my kiddos. what about me? well, i'm a bit mad that summer is already over. while i had a vacation, it wasn't enough...are they ever? and i wanted to do more stuff like ride my bike and swim and sit under a tree and do nothing. need to plan more of those things on a regular basis I guess.

so, i feel a bit weird putting all this out into cyberspace and just letting it be. i mean, what if you read this and think, she's not as "cool" or "smart" as she looks or seems to be. welcome to reality. I read a great quote the other day in a book by the wonderful Barbara Brown Taylor. In Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith she tells of her call to a small church in Georgia and her eventual leaving of that congregation. But at the beginning, at her ordination, a mentor tells her that being ordained is not about serving God perfectly, but about serving God visibly, allowing other people to learn whatever they can from watching you rise and fall. He said, "you probably won't be much worse than other people and you certainly won't be any better, but you will have to let people look at you. You will have to let them see you as you are." perhaps this blog is my attempt at that. putting myself 'out there' even more. being more 'visible' and vulnerable in all my blessed weirdness.

well. enough of that for now anyway.

No comments: